Help! My Neck is Stuck Sideways!
A neck that is twisted or locked is known as acute torticollis
The first thing you need to do is relax. This is a common problem and stressing out mentally is only going to make the pain worse. It often occurs when people wake up, potentially due to sleeping for a prolonged period in an awkward position. Other causes include:
- Working at a computer for an excessive amount of time with very little movement of the neck
- Sitting with poor posture.
- Mental anxiety can contribute to tightness of the muscles in the neck
Realize that the pain will likely subside by itself given time and care. If it lasts longer than 48 hours it may be worth checking with a doctor.
Managing a stiff and sore neck from home
- Mobility is important: little by little, try to move your neck and return to normal range of motion.
- Utilize ice and heat intermittently
- Sleep with a properly adjusted, firm pillow that avoids putting your neck at an aggressive angle.
- Once range of motion gradually returns, utilize neck exercises to restore pliability to the soft tissues in the neck.
What we can do for people with stiff and sore necks in Milpitas
Many people who suffer an episode of acute torticollis will readily admit that their neck is generally in and out of stiffness and soreness; it is a byproduct of their lifestyle. But it doesn’t have to be this way! At our office in Milpitas, we help people come to terms with the behavior that is causing a stiff neck and how their daily actions decide how their neck feels. We can provide chiropractic adjustment and other hands-on modalities to improve nerve function and range of motion and show you stretches that can be done from literally anywhere that will protect the mobility of your neck and prevent pain.