Summer Diet Modifications
Summer time is a great time to lose weight, which will boost your musculoskeletal well-being and leave you happier in the long run. Obesity is linked to back pain because excess weight adds strain to the muscles and ligaments of the back. The spine is subject to forces that conspire to move it out of alignment all the time, and extra weight can also cause unnatural curvature to develop. Any pre-existing back pain will be made worse by obesity as the pelvis is pulled forward and the lower back is strained. At Family Chiropractic & Natural Healing Center, we would like to see people take the summer initiative to shed winter weight and feel better. Here are some doable ways to lose weight this summer:
- Cut back on the booze: a surefire way to cut back on the caloric intake.
- Add in a soup appetizer: soup combines liquid and sustenance to help curb your appetite.
- Smaller portions: studies show that humans will eat, on average, 92% of what is on the plate. This means that if you serve yourself smaller, you will consume less.
- Eat fruit instead of drinking juice: juice contains more sugar and less of the raw vitamins than whole fruit.
- Coffee over tea: the dairy and sugar counts that are in coffee drinks (think iced latte) can really affect your diet negatively. A green iced tea is more refreshing and contains a wealth of healthful properties including antioxidants.
Changing your entire lifestyle is not our aim here: we want you to start small and think big. Summer is the greatest time to start because you can feel great about your decisions in the sunshine. For help on ways to institute healthy changes and improving your well being, give our office in Milpitas a call.
Dr. Gregory Lind, D.C.